Prominent celebrities and environmental enthusiasts came together under one roof for a special cause and event named A Bid to Save the Earth: Christie’s Green Auction at the Rockefeller Center, New York, on 22 April 2010.
In honour of Earth Day, Christie’s International, one of the world’s largest art auction houses, held a charity auction in partnership with Charitybuzz, the destination for online charity benefit auctions.
On the same day, it also happened to be Earth Day’s 40th anniversary. The sole motive of the auction was to divide the sale profits among four leading nonprofit environmental organizations: Conservation International, Oceana, Natural Resources Defense Council, and the Central Park Conservancy.
With the specific vision, Christie and a list of A list celebrities, cultural and intellectual elite, and several leading environmental charities, were the driving forces of this event. The star-studded event saw one of the great environmentalists himself, Oscar-winning actor Leonardo DiCaprio, sharing the stage with Harrison Ford, Matt Lauer, Tobey Maguire, Salma Hayek, Ed Norton, and many more.
The live auction included major works from designers and artists including Keith Tyson, Maya Lin, and Olafur Eliasson. Other lots included a chance to spend time with celebs like Hugh Jackman, Christina Aguilera, and Candice Bergen along with upscale eco-vacations and exquisite jewellery, with additional luxury items secured daily.
Here is a list of celebrity-related bids that were available at the auction.
- Lunch with renowned designer Vera Wang at Mercer Kitchen in NY and a shopping spree worth USD 10,000 at her boutique
- A chance to attend the premiere of the Green Hornet featuring Cameron Diaz and Seth Rogen in Los Angeles, plus two after-party passes
- A whole day on set with one of the world’s best action heroes, Hugh Jackman
- Private lunch and falconry lesson from Robert F. Kennedy Jr
- A cruise on David Rockefeller Jr.’s yacht with oceanography providing one-on-one commentary
More About The Auction
The goal of this auction was buying and selling valuable antiquities that are recycled, reused, and preserved. Besides the contribution of celebrities, leading artists also set up their artworks for bidding at the special event to benefit several sustainability-related charity.
Some of the pieces of art auctioned in the event included:
- In the Land and Milk and Honey– by Maya Lin
- British artist Keith Tyson’s Cloud Choreography: High Above the Magic Kingdom
- Central Park, a framed Giclee print by photographer Michael Doven
Who Benefitted from the event?
Many of the green organizations were entitled to benefit from this meaningful event. They are:
- Oceana – An organization that campaigns to protect and restore the world’s oceans
- Conservation International – An organization dedicated to empowering societies to be responsible and sustainable towards nature and the well-being of humanity
- Natural Resources Defense Council – An organization that consists of scientists, lawyers, and environmental specialists dedicated to protecting public health and the environment
- Central Park Conservancy – An organization with the mission to restore, manage, and preserve Central Park for the amusement of present and future generations.
What Did The Related Party Have To Say?
Toby Usnik, the Head of Communications for Christie’s and a prime figure behind ‘A Bid To Save The Earth,’ presented his high hopes before this event. He said, “We are bringing together corporations, celebrities, nonprofits, and the arts community, all setting aside their individual agendas to go green.”
He added, “This event will even have a ‘Green Carpet’ as participants walk in front of major national and international media to support this worthy cause. We feel like we are on to something here.”
Similarly, Environmentalist and documentary producer Susan Cohn Rockefeller said, “This is a tool to generate significant revenue for the nonprofits. This event is generating so much excitement, and generosity, far more than we ever expected in this economic climate.” Susan Rockefeller has also played as an adviser to Christie’s in helping to choose the participating charities.
The event spanned out as a total cross-section of participants all committed to honouring Earth Day while also supporting environmental non-profits.
A great initiative towards better earth, we must admit.